The shift dress is such a staple for any girls wardrobe. Audrey Hepburn and Jacqueline Kennedy, fashion icons famous for their impeccable style made these dresses famous. These dresses are usually sleeveless and a no brainer for summer. But how do you take these dresses into Fall? Read on for tips on styling a shift dress for fall.
I am going to style this shift dress for fall for three key looks – work, date night and casual. Now just because it’s cooler outside doesn’t mean we can roll up in a ball under our blankets and stay at home 🙂 So here you can look fab and stay warm too!
The best way to put together a casual look with a shift dress is to try to dress it down and layer up. Since the shift dress traditionally has a classic vibe with a flair of posh you want to pair it with something that is uber casual. Since this dress was pink I went for a blue chambray denim top. You could also pick any button down shirt in a color that plays nice with the dress. Throw on the shirt over the dress, knot it up in the front and scrunch up the sleeves. There you have it, a perfect casual look! You can accessorize depending on what the outfit is for, pearls for a touch of chic or leave it with nothing for completely casual.
I have worn a pair of block lace ups. Block heels are so big this season I couldn’t resist!
Shop the Look
While the casual look has the shirt layered over, the work look has it layered under. The main reason for this is that you want the polished look of the dress to be the focus. Don’t forget that the dress by itself is very work-esque so all you need to do is make it more warm. I like a collared shirt to layer under so that I can pull the collar through the neckline of the dress. Since it’s a work outfit I have kept the accessorizing to a minimum, only a bracelet. I have accentuated my waist with a lovely animal print belt.
I am wearing a very polished looking pair of wedges from BCBG in a nude tone to finish off my professional look.
Shop the Look
For your date night I bet you wanna look cute yet sexy! Assuming you are not going to an open air place I have the perfect look for you. Grab a cute leather jacket to wear over your dress but leave it plain and classic otherwise. Then add a pair of heeled boots to the look. I love the sexy effect a pair of boots lends to an above the knee sleeveless dress. Now add in a clutch and a statement necklace and you have the look!
Shop the Look
Styling these looks was so much fun. I especially liked that I was in Seattle and could verify that the looks worked in the cooler fall weather! Do let me know what you think 🙂
This post is featured in IFB
Links à la Mode, October 27th
- Attire Club:6 Tricks for Impeccably Polished Leather Shoes
- Chiconomical: How to Wear a Hex Tie: Workwear Chic
- Cover Mum:Statement Jumper
- Fancier’s World: Why Striped Sweater is a Fall Essential?
- Fashionopolis: Can Plus Size Be Aspirational?
- Five Foot Nothing Shopping: Styling a Shift Dress for Fall
- Goldwill Digger:5 Thrifting Mistakes You’re Making at Goodwill
- Green Acres Meets Paris: The Look of Leather & Lace
- Happy. Pretty. Sweet.: How to Support Other Bloggers
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: My Top 10 Favorite Things I did in Japan
- I’m a Norbyah: Style Minute: Dressing up? No occasion necessary!
- Living After Midnite: Pumpkin Jack-o-Lantern Nails
- Love Bella Vida: 7 Iconic Dresses
- My Golden Beauty:How to Wear a Poncho
- O Struck:Matte : Another find from a MAC lipstick subtle collection
- Outfit Zest: DIY Candy Corn Ombré Tights
- Pudding Monster: How To Look Cool in A Turtle Neck / How to Style Turtleneck Top
- Sweet Tea Salvage:Halloween Costume: Lydia Deetz
- Trendee Toad: Just Buy the Darn Shoes!
- Vanity and Me: Nadia Minkoff – Luxury Handbags