Big ruffle sleeves are en vogue and that got me thinking about how I could wear them. I love being on trend, but sometimes the trends are literally too big for me. But where there is a will there is always a way 🙂 Read on to know how I made this style suit the petite frame!
Sleeve Length is Everything
As a petite girl, if you want to try out this style I would suggest finding a sleeves that are three quarters in length. It’s really important to ensure that the sleeves are not swallowing you’re arms up and thus making you look shorter. The best way to do this is to show some bare arm, even a little works. This top from Anthropologie was perfect on that front, so I guess they were thinking about us petite girls too when they designed it 🙂
Top Needs to Be Fitted
The other big factor with oversized sleeves is making sure your top itself isn’t oversized. Better yet is to be able to have some belt detail to draw a persons eyes to the small of your waist, that’s where I would suggest tying the belt. This belt will give your small frame some much needed definition making you look taller. Now which petite girl will say not to that?!
V Neck Top
Always remember that V necks and scoop necks give us short girls the illusion of height. This is because it makes our torso look longer by elongating the neck area. This is a great tip to take into consideration when buying a ruffle sleeves top. We will need all the help we can get in the height department and this tip sure does help!
Fitted and Sleek
Picking what to pair with a ruffle sleeve top can be hard. I can say one thing with confidence, stay away from a long flowy skirt, a pencil skirt or a knee length skirt for any sort. I say that because you want the piece you pair this top with to be sleek and fitted. In my opinion the best piece would be a pair of skinny jeans or tailored, fitted and narrow pants. This will ensure that you have a defined body frame and the skinny jeans or pants will elongate your legs giving you some height. It will also help by making sure the outfit as a whole doesn’t drown you out. I picked a lovely pair of distressed Zara pants.
What handbag should you carry for this look? One word, structured! You have ruffle sleeves that are voluminous and floppy, the last thing you need is a large floppy handbag too! Stick to something that is defined, doesn’t matter if its big or small. I have picked a Burberry bag that is structured and it looks great with this look!
I wore this outfit when I was in Goa on a vacation. I also wore this look for a party in Chicago this past weekend. All you need to do is wear a pair of skinny jeans (not distressed unless frost bite is no biggie for you 🙂 ) and a pair of black boots or booties. I then bundled up with a lovely Canada Goose coat!
I hope this post gives you the inspiration and confidence you need to find your own ruffle sleeves top, I really do love them 🙂
Shop the Look
This post is featured in IFB
Links à la Mode, January 18th, 2018
- Adorned in Armor: Handling Insults with Class
- Aesthetic Distance: The Boss Is Back (Not Me, I’m Talking About Tyra Banks)
- Cammeo Head to Toe: My Week in Style: Everything’s Colder in Texas
- Chicago Petite Blog: 5 Petite Sweaters to Keep You Cozy All Winter
- Dangerously Me: How Petites Can Wear Big Ruffle Sleeves
- Eboni Curls: Honey
- Elle is for She: Elle’s Look: Camel Blazer
- Fashion Fairies: Co-Ords: My Current Favorite
- Fashion to Live: Wide Boatneck Sweater + Vintage Skirt + Stuart Weitzman
- Five Foot Nothing Shopping: How Petites Can Wear Big Ruffle Sleeves
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: Playing with Prints
- I’m a Norbyah: New Year, New Ideas
- Just Gigi: Pink & Chic Valentine’s Day Outfit
- Kenguri Styles: Polka Dots
- Knowing My Style: Ringing in the New Year with Dainty Jewells
- Sifa’s Corner: Quick 5 Minute Makeup with Neutrogena
- Smile Is It: My Simple Winter Makeup Routine
- Tales of Two: Bondi to Cogee Walk – Quintessential Sydney
- Jeff on the Road: Playful Winter Lookbook with a European Flair
- The Outfit Repeater: Can These 6 Apps Really Plan Outfits Better Than Me?
Did you enjoy reading this post?
Subscribe to My Blog via Email in the sidebar. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Bloglovin to get all my blog post updates, travelgrams and outfit previews. Don’t forget to register to LIKEtoKNOW.it so that you can shop my outfits. You can also shop my looks from my Shopstyle Shop, be sure to like items you have your eye on to get sale alerts! Happy Shopping <3