So what is a shirt dress? Really a shirt dress has a collar, some buttons in the front and sleeves you can roll up. It also usually doesn’t have any seam at the waist and so you can style it the way you like! So lets look at what I think is a contemporary shirt dress!
Everything has a contemporary spin on it so why not items of clothing! This Tobi Angela Chambray Shift Dress is what I would imagine a contemporary shirt dress to be! Let me tell you why…
This Tobi dress has the collar detail, the essential part of a shirt dress. So check on that detail!
The waist is seamless another feature of the shirt dress. This also allows for this dress to be styled the way you like it, either airy and flowy or cinched up! I have styled it both ways 🙂 Shows you that a petite girl can sometimes own both looks if the length is right!
It’s Got Zip Detail
Now here begins the details which in my opinion make this casual chic dress a contemporary beauty! It’s not got the traditional buttoned up front. Yes all shirts have a buttoned up front but like the famous quote by Cushnie et Ochs, “Life’s too short to wear boring clothes”! So why stick to the norm, lets switch it up a bit and add a zipper instead. What you really need is the ability to either have it slightly opened at the neck or completely fasted all the way up, a zipper allows you to do both! A zipper is also more fun 😉
It’s Got an Open Back
I have to say that this one and the next detail are what did it for me, these two details took this dress from same ole to modern and sexy! The open back is awesome! It has two beautiful straps that secures the collar but giving the back a peek a boo effect! I absolutely love it!
Best of all – It’s Semi Off Shoulder with Paper Bag Detail!
Finally, the best feature of all – the semi off shoulder effect! Off shoulder has been big for a couple of seasons now and I am loving it. But when I saw a slightly different take on it I was completely smitten! This dress with it’s paper bag detail, collar sans shoulders look had me hooked! I love it!
So what do you think? Do you agree that this beautiful Tobi dress is what a contemporary shirt dress should look like? Tell me please 🙂
This post is featured in IFB
Links à la Mode, June 8th
- Adorned in Armor: Don’t Forget Your Smile
- Beyond Her Curls: Sun + Stripes Miami
- Blonde a la Mode: Details in Denim
- Cateyes and Skinny Jeans: June Crush List
- DMKontrast: Hello Sunshine
- Five Foot Nothing Shopping: The Contemporary Shirt Dress
- Elements of Ellis: Two Ways to Wear Gingham
- Everest Says: The Bralette
- Everyday Starlet: Face Spray, Face Mist & Setting Spray Review | Pixi, First Aid Beauty & More!
- Finite 1: Why Shirtdresses Are The Best For Any Day
- Funky Jungle: Why I Won’t Repeat the Capsule Wardrobe Experiment
- Hampton Roads Fashion & Style: Effortless Chiffon Blouse x Black Leggings
- Life in the Fash Lane: 5 Wardrobe Staples for the Summer
- Oh to Be a Muse: Driving Traffic with Instastories + My Summer Picks
- Smile is It: 16 Father’s Day Gifts That Won’t Disappoint
- Sparkle & Spice: It’s a Sleeve Thing
- Tales of Two: Fail Safe Colors for an Effortless Look
- The Modalista: 6 Tips to Break Out of a Blogging Rut & Feel Motivated Again
“This post is sponsored by Tobi but all the opinions are mine”
Did you enjoy reading this post?
Then Subscribe to My Blog via Email in the sidebar. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Bloglovin to get all my blog post updates, travelgrams and outfit previews. Don’t forget to register to LIKEtoKNOW.it so that you can shop my outfits. You can also shop my looks from my Shopstyle Shop, be sure to like items you have your eye on to get sale alerts! Happy Shopping <3