“Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world!” – Marilyn Monroe
Trust me no saying resonates with me more than that one! I love my shoes, I will probably never say I have enough! Being a short girl, I also have a selection of shoes to help me look taller and feel taller. So what are all my tips for shoe shopping? Read on to know more!
General Shoe Shopping Tips
- Know your shoe size. Also know that your size might differ by brand.
- Try on shoes at the end of the day. That’s when your feet have walked all day and sometimes they swell. You want to make sure the shoe fits at this point in time!
- Us shorties need to avoid a T-Strap, they tend to shorten our leg length making us look even shorter. On the other hand a nice pointed toe shoe will give us leg length especially with they are nude in color!
- Buy a heel cover for pointed heels or stilettos. I get really annoyed when my heels get scratched and these heel covers really help with that!
The Ultra High Heel
Ok, lets start out with every short girls fav – the ultra high heel, something that is probably over 4 inches! I have learned the hard way about how to pick these so that I can actually walk in them rather than sit on a couch wherever I go! Here are my rules for these:
- They have to have a platform in the front! No exceptions on this rule! Having my tiny 5.5 US shoe size foot arched more than 3.5 inches is painful. So I will start out with a half inch platform for a 4 inch heel, The platform has to increase in height as the heel does. My rule of thumb, “the heel height minus the platform height needs to be nothing more than 3.5 inches”!
- I prefer the platform to be hidden or be the same color as the shoe so it doesn’t look as obvious. This also makes you look taller!
- An ultra high heel needs to have my foot very securely in it. I prefer a full covered bootie or a broad strap across my toes basically more surface area so I feel my foot won’t wobble in the shoe.
- I prefer the heel to be broader on the base, this makes it easy to walk in!
- I definitely like a strap around my ankle. The closer the strap is to skin color the taller it will make you look.
Lets go from the ultra high heel to being firmly grounded 🙂 A few years ago if you looked at my shoes, I had no flats to speak of besides flip flops! I learned quickly, you definitely need flats in your shoe collection. I also learned that I needed to embrace the fact that I was a shorty and not be annoyed by it. The moment I realized that I started buying more flats! Tips for shoe shopping for flats:
- Make sure the flats you buy are uber comfortable, I mean let’s bet honest, that’s one of the most important reasons we short girls buy them!
- I love a good pair of lace up flats both open toe and closed toe. They look chic and are fabulous when paired with a dress, shorts or a skirt.
- Always own a cool pair of plimsolls! They are the best for a music concert or a day out when you need to be comfortable and still look good!
I have come to learn that this type of heel is coming to be one of favs for everyday use. I try really hard not to go above a heel height of about 2.5 to 3 inches for daily wear. I used to do that often but realized in the long run it’s probably better I pick a pair that’s both comfortable and looks fab!
- Block heels are comfortable and going with a heel height under 3 inches is the best way to go for your everyday pair.
- Own a nude pair of block heels, they can be paired with pretty much anything!
- I do love a good pair of lace ups! When your lace up shoe rides up around your ankles like these Aldo shoes do, then make certain to always carry a band-aid. Sometimes the shoes might graze against your ankle and create a bruise so put a band-aid on it!
Now, doesn’t every girl just love a good stiletto heel?! Yes I am sure you do! These heels definitely make me feel like I look good and they are confidence boosting. They can also be a drag if you didn’t buy the absolute right pair!
- A stiletto heel is a petite girls must have! It makes our legs look longer due to its slender heel!
- A stiletto with it’s barely there heel width can be hard to walk in if you haven’t found the perfect pair. So for this very reason and to make certain I don’t break my ankle I always want my stiletto heel shoe to have a lot of surface area to encapsulate my foot. I want me foot to feel secure within it!
- A stiletto heel needs a platform in the front. I will never buy a stiletto without that!
- Always make sure these shoes, more so than others, have a layer of rubber on the sole. This will prevent slipping and potentially falling down.
Stiletto Lace Ups
I learned the hard way that while stiletto lace ups look fabulous they might be really hard to wear and even harder to walk in! If you are going in for a stiletto lace up then:
- Make sure the vamp of the shoes is broader so that you have some support from the non lace up portion of the shoe.
- The heel is not too high! The laces can really dig into your skin as you try and balance.
Pumps are probably one of my most favorite shoes to wear just about anywhere slightly formal or chic! I love a good pair of pumps and here are my shoe shopping tips for them:
- Look at the first pair of orange pumps, trust me they are a fabulous brand but when I tried them on I honestly couldn’t walk! The reason I quickly realized was that the vamp of the shoe was too small and the width of the front of the shoes too narrow. These two pieces that are key to buying comfortable shoes! Make sure the vamp completely covers your toes in pumps and the the width is wide enough so as to not compress your foot.
- Short girls, you need to own a pair of nude pumps! They make you look taller, no more convincing needed!
- I would also say to own a pair in an animal print, they always look swell with jeans!
I love a good wedge! These shoes are the best for beginners who are trying to get accustomed to a pair of high heels. The few tips for shoe shopping for wedges:
- If you are a slimmer girl then go in for a wedge that is narrow. This will make you look taller too!
- If you aren’t too slim and not a shorty then you can safely go in for a chunky wedge heel, they will suit you and be very comfortable!
If you look below you can see how the first wedge sort of dwarfs my legs while the second wedge doesn’t!
There you have it, all my shoe shopping tips for shorties! I hope this one is helpful 🙂
Shop the Shoes
Did you enjoy reading this post?
Then Subscribe to My Blog via Email in the sidebar. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Bloglovin to get all my blog post updates, travelgrams and outfit previews. Don’t forget to register to LIKEtoKNOW.it so that you can shop my outfits. You can also shop my looks from my Shopstyle Shop, be sure to like items you have your eye on to get sale alerts! Happy Shopping <3